Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day

This was the shot from our condo in St. Lucia, just last year! If I was rich I would send all of my Mommy friends to this island in the Carribean. I hope all of your day today is serene and peaceful and full of love from your families! I want to share a Mother's Day story that happened to me a couple of years ago that will always be cherished.
We had just moved back to Enumclaw, spring of 2007, and Cara was the only child home for Mother's Day. She came up with the idea to not only give me a Mother's Day gift but four close friends, as well. She went out and bought a huge bouquet of flowers and then divided them up between the five of us and delivered them to my four friends with a note attached thanking them for their friendship to me. Mother's Day morning I saw my portion of the flowers on the table with a similar note attached telling me what she had done. I was truly touched by her thoughtfulness and kindness. She has always shown a maturity way beyond her years and this was another indicator of that. This is my last Mother's Day with her at home. Because of other trials in my life right now.... no job and no place to live once the end of June hits, I have had to put in the back of my mind all of the emotions I have about my baby leaving the nest. Maybe, this is the Lord's way of protecting my heart. I love you Cara and you will always be my baby.
I was the Mom the first day of school who would leave with tears streaming down my cheeks as I knew this was one less summer I would have with my children. After a few years of embarassing myself with my emotions I learned to wear my sunglasses to school that first day. I know it always looked weird as there usually was not any sun out in Washington state! I have always wanted to be a Mom and feel so blessed to have had the chance to stay at home with my children. Now my children are beginning to be parents and what a blessing it is to see that happen.

7 comments:

Lindsey said...

What a wonderful post Cathy.

I am sure it will be hard to become "empty-nesters" when Cara leaves. You will have to pick up additional hobbies to fill your extra time!!

Shane and Michelle said...

Cathy, thanks for the sweet comment. I love your post. It brought tears to my eyes. What a special family you have. All of your girls are beautiful. What Cara did on mother's day is WAY BEYOND mature, thoughtful and generous. I can hardly believe she is graduating this year! What a sweet thing she did for mothers day. I pray you find a place soon. I know the stress of moving can take it's toll! A hug to you!!

Nicole said...

What a sweet and wonderful post you wrote! I had tears in my eyes too! I remember being one of the lucky people to get those flowers from Cara! What a sweet gesture from a sweet girl! I can't believe she is the age she is! I can totally relate to the first day of school part- you should have told me about the sunglasses trick earlier! :o) I had to laugh when you said about it being Washington and it looked funny with sunglasses on a cloudy day! By the way, I am in Hawaii right now with Paul! Besides missing the kids, I did have a very nice Mother's Day! So you will know if my comment says a really late hour that it's because I'm in this time zone! Love you!

Nicole said...

I forgot to tell you Happy Mother's Day to one of the best Mom's I know and someone who I have learned a lot about how to be a Mom from!

Nicole said...

Ps. It's really only 10:30pm here! Don't you love all of these comments?! You're gong to wake up and say "Sweet! Look at all of the new comments!" only to realize they are all from me! Reminds me of what you did on Kelsey's blog before! You had me laughing! You always do!

Sarah Stout said...

Cathy... you've been a wonderful mother and friend to many (INCLUDING ME!) over the years. Keep up the good work and know that you will always be a mother, not only to your own children, but to all those with whom you come in contact. Thanks for your years of friendship, love, and support!

P.S. What Cara did for you is very sweet! She is an amazing girl!
P.P.S. You guys are in my thoughts and prayers. Best wishes for the future!

Andrea said...

Your post illustrates so well why so many people (me included) love you!! You are so special!